Monday, July 6, 2009

In the Fridge... : GREEK YOGURT


Man, I love this stuff! I discovered Greek Yogurt about a year ago, and was blown away by it.
My favorite brand is FAGE, pictured here. I like the "Total" and the "0 %" varieties. In a cup serving ( 2 cups per container) of the " 0%", which I currently have in the fridge, there's:

Calories- 120
Fat- 0g
Carbs- 9 g
Protein- 20 WHOMPING grams!

I've had protein mixes and protein bars that don't have as good a breakdown as this! With a consistency that's somewhere between sour cream and cool whip, plus all the live active cultures of good yogurt, this stuff is awesome. Try it!

5 comments:

  1. The missus and I use the 2%. We mix it in pretty much everything, just made alfredo sauce with it. For those of you asking for it in your local supermarket, make sure you pronounce it "fah-yeh", and not the way YOU were going to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Yeah, I was gonna mention something about that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The missus...don't you just love saying that, Kenny?

    I must try this. I need more protein and calcium, and I LOVE yogurt.

    Also, tip from Alton Brown, of Good Eats fame: in order for the yogurt not to curdle when cooking with it, add a bit of cornstarch when it is still cold. It works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, tried it--it is fantastic! Thank you so much. I actually used to make this myself by straining regular (good) yogurt with a coffee filter. I used to call it yogurt cheese. I would cook with it too. It is excellent spread on a white fish with garlic and spices, then rolled up with a toothpick, then baked.

    I got some organic vanilla, organic cocoa powder, and stevia, then mixed it with the Stonyfield Farms organic Greek yogurt, non-fat plain, Oikos. A yummy chocolate experience, all for about 100 calories, about 20 grams of protein! Thanks, K and K!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like StoneyField's Oikos, but not quite as much as Fage, because of the consistency. Fage is thicker, while Oikos is a bit runnier.

    ReplyDelete