Monday, April 20, 2009

Just in Time....

Ya know, I never thought I'd look like this. I was quite the gymrat in my college days, modeled in major fashion mags in my midtwenties, and was in great shape. Somewhere along the line, though, working out became less of a priority.
I never got TOO far out of shape, I guess, but when I saw these photos from a family beach trip, I was horrified. One of my best buds, Tom Richmond (www.tomrichmond.com), the famous cartoonist, had gotten himself back into shape recently, and I was truly inspired by the changes he'd made in his physique (he's a BEAST!). So, with help and advice from him (it's important to have someone to bounce ideas off of... even if they live across the country), I decided to get back into shape. Vanity didn't hurt either... my 20 year high school reunion was about a year away at the time, and I wanted to look good for it . I got back into the gym, and it was really tough for awhile. I had to MAKE myself go.
But what do ya know? I eventually started LIKING the feeling of working out again. I got addicted to it, which is what I needed. And I did it JUST IN TIME for the reunion. I hit my weight goal (and got into the pants I wanted to wear) about two weeks before it. THIS photo is the same beach, about two years later (I was 40). I had made big changes already, but there was still more to come. (Notice the strategically placed baby! Ha! Right where abs SHOULD be! )

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen such a contrasted farmer's tan in that 1st picture! MAN! Keelan! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's livin in Florida for you. I stay paler here than when I lived n SC. It's too freakin hot to go outside and just sit there and "tan"!

    ReplyDelete